Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Win a copy of 2010 Writer's Market!

This contest is now closed. Thanks to all who entered!

[Update: Well, the 10-sided die has been cast ... and lightverse, you are our winner! Congratulations! Please contact me and let me know where you'd like me to send your book. And thanks to everyone who entered. You made my day!]


To celebrate the launch of this new blog, I am giving away an unused paperback copy of the 2010 Writer's Market published by Writer's Digest Books. This tome is a great addition to any writer's toolkit, containing listings for 3,500 places to publish your work. I already own a copy and received this extra one at Christmas -- a perfect opportunity for a giveaway!

To be eligible for the drawing, please leave me a comment about science, poetry, or both, on this post only.
  • Tell me about your favorite scientific subject, describe a fun science activity, tell me what you like about my other blog, Mama Joules, provide a link to a family-friendly science website, or tell me anything else about science.
  • If science isn't your thing, (drop by my family-friendly science blog, Mama Joules, and then) talk to me about haiku, tanka, haiga, alliteration, Robert Frost, Gwendolyn Brooks, or anything else relating to poetry.
  • And if, like me, you enjoy both science and poetry, share your thoughts on Scifaiku, Fibonacci sequence poetry, or some other topic similar to both.
You must include something about science, poetry, or both, in your comment to be eligible for this drawing. I reserve the right to delete any comments that contain spam, sexually explicit references, swearing, or other overtly troll-like content. Please make sure to include enough contact information that I can E-mail you back if you win!

I'll be accepting comments here for roughly two weeks (until 8 pm EST January 20th) and then I'll have my husband, Itinerant Cryptographer, help me pick a winner at random (since he does that sort of thing for a living). At that time, I will announce the winner here, by updating this post, and I will request that you contact me by E-mail to claim your prize.

If you are chosen as the winner and haven't contacted me by 8 pm EST January 24th, you will forfeit the prize and I will draw another name from the list.

I look forward to reading your comments. Good luck!


Photo credit: Francis via flickr // CC BY 2.0

9 comments:

  1. I love to see the intersection of poetry and science - both seek to understand and describe our world.

    I was inspired to write 6 word stories/ poems after reading about a contest in Bee Culture. Here are my two story poems...

    Nuptual Flight
    Hungry Bird
    Laying Worker

    Honey in our first year:
    Sweet

    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Michele. I love the second poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping fingers crossed
    I try to write and win this
    I don't like haiku


    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fun experiment with kids is to put colored plastic wrap (red, green, and blue) over different flashlights. Have the kids try to mix all three colors together by shining the beams in a dark room. It is not like art class! Mixing different colors of light should give you white light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trying this again ;)
    I didn't know you were Mama Joules! I have you on Twitter and shared your weather project on FB and still didn't connect the dots!

    I knew Jack would love sharing the weather idea with my toddler when he's ready. Jack LOVED the weather unit we did in homeschool.

    We also just completed a long poetry unit where I pulled all the poetry for kids books from the inter-loan library system and we read and wrote things together. We learned about haiku, alliteration, list poems and waaay more. I thought he'd be sick of me but he says he really enjoyed it. Jack is so creative and funny when he SPEAKS, so I keep hoping he will write someday. I'd love to see him write poems and songs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Science + Poetry = awesomeness.
    poetry and technology are coming together in a way that they've never before. Science has enabled technology that allows for awesome possibilities o the poetry frontier. I write about poetry and technology over at www.poetechie.com and I love talking about the two. Thanks for the post.
    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah: Thanks for dropping by! You know, I didn't enjoy haiku either until I started writing Scifaiku. Then something clicked for me.

    Cheryl: I love that idea. I'll have to try that with the boys. I especially like that it's a low-cost way to learn about the properties of light.

    Gina: That is too funny! You know, you were my first contact on Twitter. I've been surprised at how useful I've found it.

    Andy: Can't wait to see your website! I'll be dropping by shortly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what I think is fun? Writing poems based on the Periodic Table of Elements!

    "Here's to versatile Ytterbium -
    as Common Metals go, it's quite superbium."

    (final couplet from A Poem for Ytterbium)

    But the thing is, science lends itself wonderfully to poetry. Stories in Wired, Scientific American, Smithsonian, National Geographic - and Internet news, for example, are superbium (ahhh - super ☺) for material.

    From those sources and others, I got the inspiration for The Physics of the Bra, after a story ran about design and development and history of it.

    I haven't written a lot of SciFiKu as of yet, but it's a fun genre, and needs to be explored a whole lot more!

    ReplyDelete